Sunday, August 09, 2009

a glimpse of Jesus

I stopped by Smith's tonight at about 11:45 for some dish soap. The only lines open upstairs were the self-scan. Something ALWAYS goes wrong when I use them, so that boded ill.

All three were in use, and two men in line in front of me. Suddenly, a lady dropped a case of iced tea, all glass bottles. They broke, of course. One of the men in front of me was wearing a black Smith's shirt, and was trying to buy a bottle of water, obviously at the end of his shift.

The attendant called for a clean-up, and the lady and her friend tried their hand at it. Meanwhile, the Smith's employee in front of me looked around, almost emitting a perceivable sigh, and retrieved a caution sign from another checkstand to place by the mess. He then proceeded to pick up the case of broken glass, and wet and sticky mess and put it in a bag to throw away. As he walked by me to dispose of it, looking a bit tired, he even managed to give me a polite smile.

There are some people whom I truly admire. And sometimes I'm allowed to witness moments of true goodness. It surely takes my eyes off myself.

Random Smith's employee, I hold you in high regard. Thank you for your kindness.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If that happened at Macey's back in the day, WWSD?? (what would suas do) Honestly I think I would have gone home....bad Charity

Susanna Johnson said...

honestly? I don't know. I think a lot of variables would have affected it, but overall I think my fear of the uncertainty and slightly awkwardness of the situation might have deterred me.

CassieU said...

I'm glad you could see Jesus in your everday life! and way to share it with others.