Monday, July 26, 2010

Ireland, Day 3

This morning we skipped breaky at the hostel so we could all have it together in a small cafe. (Jacob and Monira and John and Betty were usually staying in the same hotel or Bed and Breakfast. Daniel, Elizabeth and I were staying in hostels.) After a bit of confusion on where to meet and what time, we were finally all at the same corner. The decision of where to eat had to be made, so I looked across the street and said, "how about there?" Turns out it was an Italian place that served a "full Irish breakfast." (Hey, we have obscure combinations in the USA, as well!) Full Irish Breakfast I got the whole thing, and everyone else got a "mini". (As it sounds, just smaller than the full.)

Next, we headed to the Kilmainham Gao, the famous jail where they held political prisoners during the troubles. A lot of famous movies have been filmed here, as well. (Such as The Italian Job, Michael Collins, and a U2 music video.) We took a tour. It was very interesting, but I kept getting sidetracked by listening to the tour guide's perfect Irish accent. He looked like he could be from an early 1900's film, with the old-school cardigan and everything. Hmm. Maybe that was staged!) But anyway, I really like Ireland (you think?) and their political history, so I really enjoyed it.

Then we walked over to the Guinness Storehouse. (YIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEE!) We toured, ate, and drank. 'Twas good. (All of this was done by walking, so tho it doesn't sound like that much, it took a lot of time to walk from place to place.) Finally, a few of us walked to the museum for a bit, but by that point I was fully toured out. Not much of a fan of museums in the first place, but I was getting sick this day so my head was about to Asplode.

Lastly, we went to pick up the rental cars. We took a taxi to get there. Then...we drove back. Crazy, scary, hilarious, stressful and nearly deadly of a time. (Well, ok, not quite "deadly". But it felt like we were going to die.) In John's and Daniel's defense, I don't think I could have done better. I would probably frozen and been hit. But driving on the left side of the road definitely takes some getting used to. It took a bit longer to get back to their hotel than we had planned. Just a bit...

We got back in time, however, to watch Doctor Who in real time on the BBC 2! Normally we watch it on Megavideo the day after it airs. BUT, given the fact that we were in (or close to) UK territory, we were able to watch it when it aired. I was pleased. Then we headed out for dinner, pretty sure we hit up a local pub. I found my new favourite drink, berry cider. Regular cider is ok. But berry...is. A. Maze. ING!!! I even got Elizabeth to try it, and she rather enjoyed it. We went to another pub for some live music later, which was super neat.

The best part of the day was when we left the Guinness Storehouse, and I walked by some guy dressed in advertisements for the Guinness Storehouse, ringing a bell and standing on a box. As I walked past, I yelled, "spaghet!" He kinda turned to me, then yelled, "spaghet!" and clanged his bell. It was HILARIOUS, and Elizabeth and I got a good laugh. Usually people look at me like I'm crazy (which I'm not debating) and don't respond. Ha.


The Jail.


the courtyard, where prisoners were executed



The group, walking. John and Betty were speed walkers, so they were far, far ahead.

Guinness Storehouse time!






From the top of the factory.

Waiting at the car rental shop.

John driving on the left side of the road...

No comments: