Monday, December 14, 2009

:: She Is ::

12-14-09

She is the one who lives what she speaks. Her example is a constant reminder, a flicker of hope that some do, indeed, live what they believe. She is love.

Her love plays out in small ways. Small, in the little things she might do everyday, such as bring a homeless woman home to shower and have dinner and a warm place to sleep. Small, like forgoing personal comfort in order to provide dance lessons for her daughter. Small, in the moment of putting down a good book to listen to her child pour out his troubles. But also in big ways, such as taking her entire family to the park to feed the homeless, picket against a cause she could not support, devote her entire life to serving her family.

She is Jesus. Her heart is large, her passion pure. Her love extends beyond the walls of her home, beyond the walls of the church, beyond the walls of her community and beyond the walls of her country. Her love encompasses her life and seeps into the lives of all types of people, from all walks of life and from all nations. She is Jesus. She is Jesus to them, she is Jesus to me. And she is my Mother.

Mom, your life is a constant example to me of Jesus’ heart. Although you seem to not see it and may never believe me, you alone are the purest, living example of Jesus I have ever encountered. Selfishness seems to be a foreign entity to you. You may be able to pick out certain areas where you are weak, where you don’t think you love. No, you’re not perfect. But where you lack, where you may fall, you also are humble and ready to change. To grow. To become more like Him. And in this, I see the heart of God.

I am who I am because of you. My biggest passions for serving the afflicted, the orphans, the broken and needy, the poor and the aliens: Mom, you put that in me. Because your heart is so deep in Christ’s heart, you passed those passions and compassion to me. I always remember reading books from the library that you checked out for me. Books about World War II, books about the pain and suffering people suffer all over the world. You gave me a big-picture view of life, of need, and of love. You live by example, risking comfort and safety to love like Jesus calls you to. People may laugh and scoff at your convictions, people may judge and raise eyebrows at your decisions, but your desire is to honor and serve your Lord. In this is purity and truth. And in this, I find strength and comfort.

Mom, your life is a testimony to me that Jesus is alive today. Your love is patient, your love is kind, your love is not self-seeking and your love covers a multitude of wrongs. Your love is real, Mom. Your love has helped guide me and push my passions, stubbornness, and faithfulness in the right direction- to Jesus, to truth, and to not compromising what I stand for.

Mom, I love you. You are beautiful. You shine like the stars, and I pray to God I might have even a small portion of your heart. Thank you for being you. Thank you for living Jesus.


Love,

Susanna

No comments: