Wednesday, April 22, 2009

this strawberry tastes amazing!

a few weeks ago, I witnessed an interesting moment on facebook. I saw a picture of an adult female youth leader, and she was dressed in a revealing and not so modest dress. another friend, I think either a youth leader and/or former student, made a comment on her picture, and asked why it was ok for her to dress that way, yet constantly instruct the female students to dress modestly.

a pause occurred in my day. I stopped to think. why does this occur? it wasn't the first time I'd witnessed it. I've seen myself do this sort of thing, as well as many other people.

maybe I should elaborate. too often it feels like when "leading" youth, or volunteering in a position of authority over students, we as "adults" instruct them to live in a holy lifestyle, which in many aspects, we have ceased to live out ourselves. Now I do realize there is some sort of fine line. definitely, some things, such as certain books or films might include content which younger people may not be ready to deal with yet. there are some things that truly require a more mature audience.

that said, it still doesn't necessarily apply to aspects of life such as modesty, purity, cleanness of speech. it's as if we say to these students, "don't do this stuff now. don't speak this way or dress this way at this point in your life. but once you're older, it's not wrong anymore." or in the case of the woman wearing a very revealing dress- she's married. and it's as though we say, "you have to be modest and pure until you get married. then it doesn't matter anymore. dress the way you want. use unclean speech like the rest of the world. watch any movie you've ever wanted to, because now you're an adult and not only can you handle it, but the code of conduct doesn't apply anymore. not to adults"

yes, I realize none of us (in leadership roles or just in life in general) have ever consciously thought this way. I most certainly have not. but be honest: how else do we explain this forsaking of holiness, which we drill into students over and over. why are we allowed to change our standards of holiness, purity, modesty, speech, etc, as we get older? is it truly because we're more mature and can handle it? is it really because we've realized the standards were simply legalistic and they don't matter to Christ like we used to think? or has something else happened: have we drifted away from" keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:27b)

let's be honest. are we truly becoming more like Christ in our speech, habits, time spending, money spending, thoughts, standards of dress, and what we allow into our vision and minds? or are we conforming to the world, fooled into thinking we're just growing up and cutting loose the chains of legalism?

these are the questions I'm deeply confronting. and through it all, for years in fact, I've wondered how exactly does Philippians 4:8 fit into my ever evolving, changing, and "maturing" standards. or does it not, and am I just becoming like the world, and not like my Jesus?


Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Philippians 4:8

6 comments:

Ashley Metzger said...

If this were Facebook I'd click on the little icon saying that
I like this.

Susanna Johnson said...

HAHAHAHA!

if I put it on fb would you do that? hehe.

ps. in the regular world, sans facebook, people actually just say, "I like this".

Miina said...

That is just hypocracy. I a person does not do something themselves they should never expect others to do the same. Unfortunately hypocracy is an easy trap for people to fall into so I try not to judge.

Susanna Johnson said...

ah, but the Bible does tell us to judge those within the Church. not in a harsh, condemning manner, but holding each other to the same standard God has given us all.

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you."

"Don't judge" is one of the biggest cop-outs Christians use, in order to avoid getting judged themselves, or to have to confront others on areas they are not living correctly. it has almost always been used by people who are, in fact, living in sin, and don't want to be "judged". well, according to God's commands, they've already been judged and deemed sinful, simply by living the way they are. so......

let's be honest: we make judgments about things, all day, every day. just because a judgment has been made, does not make it wrong. it's when condemnation and false righteousness is mixed in, that it becomes wrong.

Matthew 7 speaks about not judging, lest you will be judged in the same manner. But there's a difference in judging to condemn someone, and judging simply because as a community of believers, we are trying to uphold God's standards.if I'm judging myself along with others, if I feel we are living in ways that are incorrect and not in line with God's word, then how is that wrong? I'm allowing myself to be judged accordingly, in the exact same manner. essentially, I'm judge holding us all to what the word of God says, nothing more.

this has been twisted out of context so often by people in my life, I am passionate about where I stand on it.

yes, in the case of the woman wearing the immodest dress, she is probably being a bit hypocritical. but that is a single case, and there are many other areas where we are supposed to hold each other accountable to holiness. in areas where we are all supposed to be striving for the holiness of God, I believe firmly that 1 Corinthians 5:12-13 comes into play.

CassieU said...

I was somewhat challenged....some friends of mine have young children, and they don't watch things that aren't appropriate for their children...they figure if the kids can't watch it, they probably shouldn't either. I don't think i would choose that for myself right now...but It's a really good thought....
it's a good topic for discussion: mainly about why when we get older do we allow ourselves to be involved in things that as a kid/leader we were encouraged not to do...my area is mainly with movies....but...then again, i was never really too cencored with that either..

sorry this reply is another witness to my lack of thinking things through before i write.

Susanna Johnson said...

well like I said. some things really are just not suitable for children. but then I feel like there are other areas, where we just have let go of the holy standard we might have had. it's a constant challenge to me.