Monday, April 20, 2009

:: yesterday was the day of Proverbs 3:5-6. It was everywhere, and everyone was either quoting it or talking about it. I'm not sure what it means, but.............this means something! ::





Why these verses?

Proverbs 3:5-6

It has been my “saving” verse the past ten years. There is a Vineyard "Live From Australia" CD I listened to a lot when I was 15-17. When the lead vocalist was singing, she transitions into singing out that verse. It helped me get through many struggles, like when I was depressed living in Stockton, I would listen to it over and over and over again. The last two years, I've meditated on it constantly through the day, when I'm struggling with so many issues. So basically that verse is like my lifeblood. Any time I’m battling the lies the devil wants me to believe, I often just quote it over and over in my head, combating him with the Truth.

Jeremiah 29:11

Similar idea, but more of a reminder that God DOES have plans for me. My whole life I've struggled with the idea of me being worth anything, and I also had this mentality that my life would go nowhere, that I would be stuck forever in life in ways that I didn't want. I lived in the belief that my future was bleak and that I'd remain unloved, and never do anything with my life or myself. Jeremiah 29:11-13 is the total opposite of my natural thought process, and an important reminder to me, a rebuking of the lies I had lived in belief of for years.

Colossians 3:23

Reminds me that no matter how much I dislike aspects of my job, or whatever I'm doing, it's ALWAYS for God, never for man. Sometimes my mentality at work, or in other distasteful situations, I become prideful or have a bad attitude about whom I am working for and why they don’t deserve for me to keep doing my best. In those situations, or in other ones where people can't see what I'm doing, I need to remember that I should still do my best because my motivation is for God. I am naturally a perfectionist, who desires to give my best no matter what, but when I take issue with people or I become prideful for whatever reason, I tend to feel that they don’t deserve it anymore. So I need the reminder that I’m not even working for them in the first place, that it’s for God.

I tend to write my favourite verses on sticky notes, or on pieces of paper, and stick them places to remind me so I can focus on the truth and meditate on it. But last October I began thinking of getting them tattooed on me, partially to take the place of that and be with me everywhere. But also, I thought, “how cool would it be to have these references on me, so when people see them and ask what they mean? Then I can not only quote the truth to people, but in a sense, give them a testimony to what God’s done in my life, and how He’s used these verses in my life?”

I’ve thought about it since October, and made the appointment in February or March. I know a lot of people, including most of my family, are opposed to tattoos. That’s fine for them, but since I don’t see anything ungodly about them, myself, I finally just decided to go through with it. It was a very spiritual decision, (that sounds realllllly cheesy. I think I mean it was more of like a very personal commitment between myself and God.) and one I do not take lightly.

And that. Is the honest truth.

1 comment:

CassieU said...

you rock my socks off! see ya soon.