Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Say "NO" to people.

I've learned much better over the years when to say "no". when to take time away, have some solitude. I know more of when my soul is overdone in the social and media world. what I love so much about school is the ability to enjoy peace. to walk in silence. smell the pine trees. hear the birds, the jack hammers. breath in deeply of fresh, summer air.

when I don't take the time out to just be, my insides become tense. I'm on edge, I don't think clearly, and I definitely get irritated more quickly with people. when I DO take time out, to be alone, I find that when I re-enter social activity, I'm much better at seeing people with grace. better at listening. better at loving. it's a good process, if allowed to come full circle.

it's encouraging to reflect on habits, disciplines, and my soul, and find a bit of wisdom and maturity seeping in. there is hope for us all!

last week, Jake, Cas, Jacob, and I went to a roller derby competition in which some of Cassie's friends were competing. I had been unaware that such a thing even existed. at first, I was seriously doubtful about it all. but it ended up being fairly interesting, and the half-time entertainment rocked. kids on roller skates, dancing and break dancing. awesome. then we went over to Jacob and Monira's new house to help Jacob put together their new Ikea chairs and footstools. when we arrived, Cas and Jake wanted to look around, and that brought us outside. to my complete joy, we found the yard bursting with colours and fragrance. I'm so accustomed to the desert of Stockton, that vast abundances of flowers are more satisfying than a good plate of coconut korma. well, ok. maybe not. but close. anyway.....in my bare feet, I skipped over to a lilac bush, begging Jacob to allow me to pick some. he complied, so I enthusiastically picked a lovely arrangement. Jake Ulasich, semi-laughing, said that if I was born in the 60's, I would have been a hippie.

well. duh.

Jake and Jacob putting together Jacob and Monira's new chairs from Ikea.


the lovely lilacs.

pretty sure I'm just content to glory innocently like a child, in the beauty I find all around me.

3 comments:

CassieU said...

i like your reflection of your alone time. The only alone time I take is when I drive in my car from one place to another. I wonder if....no, I really get bored when I'm alone, I guess that has to do with personality types??...or like I say, since I shared a womb with someone, i just can't stand to be alone..HHAHHAA

Susanna Johnson said...

HAHAHAHAHA!

yeah we're different. does it BOTHER you to be alone though? because there are interesting aspects to whether you can't handle being alone, as opposed to just getting bored alone.

thought to discuss when you get home? eek, now!

Snivellusly Ozalan said...

Oooh! ¡¡Bonitas flores!!